La Guardia Playground’s renovation is complete. Under the NYC Parks’ Community Parks Initiative, which invested in under-resourced public parks to increase their accessibility and quality, La Guardia Playground’s was rebuilt and opened in two phases. Phase one (the southern section) was completed in 2020. On August 19, NYC Parks leadership and elected officials cut the ribbon on the completion of phase two, which added a water feature, a garden barrier to traffic, and play equipment for ages 2–12.
The playground was originally built in 1937 in conjunction with work on the bridge, and the following year the Department of Public Works transferred the site to the City of New York. The playground was further developed in the 1940s and 50s to accommodate the elevated approach to the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway that bisects La Guardia Playground.