Assemblyman Joseph Lentol’s Red Lentil Pumpkin Soup
Takes about 30 minutes to make
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
3 1/2 cups vegetable broth, divided
1 cup dried small red lentils • 1 teaspoon ground cumin•1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 cup water• 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice• 3 tablespoons plain low-fat yogurt
1/4 cup unsalted pumpkinseed kernels, toasted
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add oil to pan; swirl to coat.
- Add onion and garlic to pan; sauté 4 minutes.
- Stir in 3 cups broth, lentils, cumin, salt, cinnamon, red pepper; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Place the lentil mixture in a blender.
- Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender.
- Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Return lentil mixture to pan over medium heat.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup broth, 1 cup water, and pumpkin to pan; cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Stir in ginger and lemon juice.
Serve 1 1/2 cups soup into each of 4 bowls; top each serving with about 2 teaspoons yogurt, 1 tablespoon pumpkinseeds, and 1 tablespoon cilantro.